What is Kubernetes?
Kubernetes is a resource scheduling engine.Since 2012 – Developed by Google. Kubernetes is a portable, extensible, open source platform for managing containerised workloads and services, that facilitates both declarative configuration and automation. It has a large, rapidly growing ecosystem. Kubernetes services, support, and tools are widely available. The name Kubernetes originates from Greek, meaning helmsman or pilot. K8s as an abbreviation results from counting the eight letters between the "K" and the "s". Google open-sourced the Kubernetes project in 2014. Kubernetes combines over 15 years of Google's experience running production workloads at scale with best-of-breed ideas and practices from the community.
Google problem with scale
- Google initially concentrated around search engine runs millions of different data jobs in their datacenter - both for search and engine feeding.
- Later, they extend business to SEO toolkit. It introduce need to manage multiple tenants to operate users.
- They recognise it's hard to manage this different workloads automatically in such scale.
How Kubernetes was born
- Google extracted standard approach for resource management into Kubernetes
- Together with partners they decide container orchestration is sexy subject growing in interest
- They build CNCF together with Intel and RedHat
- They build dedicated control organisation to standardise what happen around
Many thanks to Marcin Karkocha for giving us a presentation about Kubernetes. Live demo was also interesting part. We could see some theory in action.
About Marcin Karkocha
Chief Transformation Strategist, Cloud Native Evangelist, Father of Two Boys.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Self-Publishing in the Music Industry: A Tale of Emuze.me
The evolution of self-publishing in the music industry is a tale of technology, empowerment, and a dramatic shift in control from traditional record labels to individual artists. Tracing its roots back, the music industry has long been dominated by a few major record labels that controlled distribution and, consequently, the success of artists. This traditional model often left artists dependent on these labels for exposure and financial success.
In need of software development?
At Brave we specialise in Web Software Development. We wiil help you to get your project done.
FILL IN THE FORM BELOW, OR REACH OUT TO US DIRECTLY — OFFICE@BRAVELAB.IO